Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Famous last words

It's only a fifteen-minute walk from my front door, after all.

You know that Dr. Seuss quote about love?  The one where he says "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams"?  Well, I am obviously not in love.  I long for 11 o'clock every night, when I can stop doing homework and snuggle in bed to read my scriptures and drift off to dreamland.  I've never valued sleep this much in my life.  Without it I can't function.  I am stressed out by my homework, and so my escape is sleep.  I guess without books in my life, I have to find some method... :)


But thinking of that quote reminds me that I am at BYU, where the social pressures to be in a relationship, one that is going somewhere, and to be married, are huge.  I just found out that one of the girls in my freshman academy from last year got married a month ago!  A couple of other friends have also gotten married or engaged recently.  What is this?  I am so not ready for marriage.  But at the same time, largely because of those social pressures, I tend to look at all guys as potential eternal companions.  Weird.  I guess I'm just lamenting the lack of any kind of interaction with guys, largely because of those pressures.  


Okay, I'll be honest.  I'm boy-hungry.  Does that sound too aggressive?  Oh well.  It's true.  But in spite of all the dating opportunities at BYU, I'm not encountering a lot of guys to date.  I know, I know.  I'm hardly a spinster yet.  But sometimes at this college, it feels like it!


Anyways, I'm too tired to even read through all that I just wrote, so I hope you'll forgive any sleep-deprived ravings (I only got 6 1/2 hours last night, less than I've gotten in weeks, but more than I got all through high school... hm...).  I'll leave you with this one parting tidbit.  


Kristin, Stacey, and I were talking about marriage; specifically, about who is going to get married first.  Kristin is going on a mission in January, so she ruled herself out at the beginning.  Megan's missionary is leaving soon, so she has another two+ years.  Stacey's missionary (she says he's not really her missionary, but we all know the truth... ) is getting home in March, so we bet on her.  Then Kristin looked at me and raised her eyebrows.  I told her my normal excuse (which just happens to be true, thank you very much!), which is that I'm going on a mission, and besides, I'm only 18!  She shook her head, chuckled, and muttered, "famous last words.  Famous last words."  Hmmph!


<3
Eliza

6 comments:

  1. I met Mr. H at the very young age of 19... however, it took me 5 years to finally "commit" ;) He's a very patient guy. Not too many are that patient! Today's his bday and I remember it was 10 years ago, a few weeks after meeting him that I made him a birthday sign and gave him a card with a piece of gum (a little hint hint, wasn't I forward!?!? Sheesh.) Anyway, you never know when a special person will cross your path. I was totally surprised that I met him at such a young age and I am still so grateful that he was patient enough to let me grow up (incl. going on a mission), first.

    Love reading about your life, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd hoped those pressures had changed at BYU. It's not that getting married is bad, it's that as a girl, you don't have as much control over the situation as you might wish. What's wrong with those boys anyway? Just work on being friends--doing lots of group activities, and supporting and enriching the lives of the good people around you. I'm proof that BYU marriages are not necessary! Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I am not getting married anytime soon, whether or not there's a boy coming home from a mission. (he is not "my missionary"- what a ridiculous phrase =p) Never fear, I'm 20 and I don't get any dates at BYU. :( I'm sure they will happen. Don't sweat it. You're only 18 after all. As my mom says, even though it seems like everyone's getting married if you think about it, there's more that aren't getting married. ;)Besides, getting married after college is perfectly fine. I'm in hearty agreement with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that is so cute. What a great guy to wait five years for you. Of course, you are worth it! :)

    Yes, I know that I just need to be involved. Sigh. It's mostly strange that so many of my friends are getting married. Today another one from my freshman academy announced her engagement... Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eliza, you didn't even go on your first real date until last year. Calm down. What happened to your agreement with Heidi?? Aren't you still doing that thing with her? Or is that just a thing Freshmen do??

    Well, Eliza, I love you even though you aren't engaged yet. Which, honestly, is quite fine with me. Besides, currently, all the guys your age are supposed to be on missions. And you have to find a guy who is within ten days of your age (just to uphold the tradition (: ).

    Love,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm.... Well Eliza, I can honestly say that I never knew this side of you! I mean, boy crazy? That doesn't sound like Eliza hat all! (haha :D) It's okay, I'm pretty sure I can't give you any advice other than the stuff given above... It sounds like getting married at BYU is even more popular than dating at High School, but everyone has to get married some time! You shouldn't stress about it, maybe it's just not your time yet. Besides, I'm not ready to have my older sister get married! Just imagine the what all the people here at home would say if they found out you were getting married! (all the non-LDS that is) "That Eliza Houghton, only graduated a year and a half ago, and already engaged!" -all of my teachers-who-loved-you-and-Luke-and-now-me Hahahahahahaha Oh Eliza... Life is hectic for you! You were complaining about only getting 6 &1/2 hours of sleep the other night! ....( seething envious sounds from me) All right, I do tend to ramble on, so I'll let you be. this is meant to make you laugh if you read it. ;D

    Love,
    Marta Loo

    ReplyDelete