Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,
I was thinking about Ivy League colleges, and that led me to think about you, and all the sacrifices you’ve made for me.  I don’t believe you’ve ever told me much about living in Chicago and going to school there, but I’m sure it was hard.  I just wanted to say thank you, after all these years, for taking the less prestigious university and staying home to take care of me.  There were probably other considerations involved in your choice, but it makes me feel really blessed that you chose to stay with me instead of sending me to daycare 24/7.  The times I did have a babysitter were offset by time with you.  And I’m glad that things have turned out the way they have.  I’m happy with our moves and with the decisions you made about work and schools and houses.  I’m humbled by the sacrifices you’ve made for my well-being, and I’m grateful for your patience in dealing with the bureaucratic stuff you have to do at work to keep our family going and to allow mom to be home with us.  In short, you are amazing.  I am inspired by you, and I hope I can be half as good a parent as you have been.  I was listening to a career lecture in my topics in politics class a couple weeks ago where the speaker told us that his career success had come at the expense of his family, and he warned us not to do the same.  I remembered the David O. McKay quote you told me about a few weeks ago, the one that you’ve striven to live up to: “No success can compensate for failure in the home.”  I just wanted you to know that I think you’ve made home a success.  I don’t think there is a better dad anywhere.  You’ve made home my favorite place to be, and my family my favorite people in the whole wide world.  Thank you, dad, for all you’ve done for me.    I love you.

<3
Eliza





1 comment:

  1. Awwwww. Yup, he's a great dad, and he has made sacrifices, and you'll never know how much he loved being able to be with you when you were little. Love you sweetie!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete