Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Doctor's Office

As I am down to my last bottle of insulin, I thought it would be expedient to arrange a visit to the doctor's office so I could get my prescription renewed before I was completely out.  I set it up for today, at 4:40.  At 4:10, I got home and found out that three of my roommates had the stomach flu.  Oh great.

Kristin drove me to the doctor's office on her way to pick up gatorade for our hypovolemic roommates to drink.  I got there and found out that their vaccinations office had already closed, so I couldn't get a last-minute flu shot.  Darn.  But I had a great appointment with my new favorite doctor, Dr. Fors.  She is awesome, and got everything taken care of (prescription, lab recommendations, and a referral to the podiatrist) in record time.  Then I got to go over to the lab and have some tests done.  I thought I just had to get some blood drawn - no biggie.  I arrived there and was handed the dreaded microalbumen cup.  Joy.  Much to my chagrin, I just couldn't do it.  So I got the take-home version of the test.  The blood test afterwards was a relief.  AND I got a bugs bunny bandaid.  Clearly worth the prick just for that.

I returned home and settled down to wait for the arrival of my own flu virus.  I'm not entirely sure I'm going to get it though, after Kristin cleaned everything down with disinfectant (thanks Kristin!  You're the bomb!).  Anyways, my method was this: I would make something so delicious that I would refuse to throw it up, and then I wouldn't get sick.  Creative, huh?  Well, the delicious part worked.  I am officially addicted to pan-fried tofu with spicy peanut sauce.  It's amazing.  I would suggest you go make it right now.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

...okay, back now?  That was delicious, wasn't it?  All of my roommates were too sick to try it, so I ate two servings all by myself.  Ha!  Since that point, we've just been lazing about, the sick ones sleeping and the healthy ones studying.  We're all keeping buckets by our bedside though.

<3
Eliza


P.S. Look what I did!  I created these two pages, and I'm very proud of them:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Eggplant-Pasta-Sauce
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-the-Flu-when-You-Have-Type-One-Diabetes
Plus, I've been marked a "rising star" by wikihow editors.  I feel so cool.

P.P.S. Kristin is pretty much the most awesome person ever.  She is taking care of everyone who is sick and has disinfected everything so I won't get sick (diabetes and junk, ya know?).  Isn't she amazing?

3 comments:

  1. Yay Kristen. You are amazing. Glad you liked the tofu--and that as of this a.m. you haven't seen it twice. Podiatrist? What for? And great you like your doctor--that's important!

    Good luck on the OB test--even though you have to pay. <3 you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza,

    I have been taught that wikihow is not a good site for basic information because it could be that somebody just completely made it up. But congratulations!! I really want to meet your room mates now...

    <3 Tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess, I found out that it is actually checked by other members and by wikihow editors. Although some of the specific ones could be made up, the more broad-based how-tos are probably based in fact (at least loosely!). I wish you could meet my roommates! Maybe someday :) And mom, I'm meeting the podiatrist because Irish dance is REALLY hurting my feet. I think it's osteoarthritis acting up again, but I'm not sure. My bones hurt.

    <3
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete