Sunday, September 6, 2009

Well, I do miss you, so I'll follow Mom's advice and write to you.... On Thursday, I got up, did some homework, went to class, and then came home, went to the doctor's office, where my blood pressure was textbook perfect (80-120), cooked, did some more homework, stayed up late playing with my roommates, then went to bed. It was kind of a lame day, but I ate an amazing salad with my Asian Sesame Seed dressing :).

Friday, I had a low blood sugar during the night, and finally woke up, late, with a pounding headache. I went to Calculus, then English, then Intro to International Politics. Oh, and I called the doctor's office, and my Hemoglobin A1C was 6.4. Epic! Then I came home and watched "She's the Man" with my roommates. Fun stuff. Then I went to the bookstore to return some books I got for cheaper online, and talked to Grandma and Grandpa on my way over there. It's kind of nice to have a long walk to get anywhere, because it provides the perfect opportunity to talk on the phone. When I got back, I ate some of Shyler's mac'n'cheese then went with Heidi to the Heritage Halls tailgate party. It was pretty tame, so after about an hour we split with plates full of free food back to our apartments. Then, Heidi, Sarah, and their other friend, whose name I can't remember, came over and we watched Ironman, which is a very fun movie, and ate popcorn. (Sorry for the abuse of commas in that sentence...) An epic search for my lifeguarding certification ensued, involving mom and me, but I couldn't find it, so I couldn't even apply to be a lifeguard. Because of that loss, I decided to stay up later and watch High School Musical III with my roommates. Maybe someday I'll even watch the first two! By the time I got to bed I was bushed.

Saturday I woke up, got some stuff done around the house, and then went to Walmart to buy some salad stuff for our ward Break the Fast and some cleaning supplies. We cleaned our apartment, and then hung around watching Sound of Music. We don't get ESPN and we didn't go over to the Wilk, but we knew that BYU had won the game by the sound of screaming people running down the street at around 8:30. So, to join in the celebrations, we followed Kirsi's idea and ran down the street banging pots and pans. We started a trend, and it was amazing. Then we headed over to see what the Helaman Halls party was like. On the way, Kirsi realized she was wearing a pink shirt and turned around to change. Just as we were about to get back to Gates Hall, we ran into Heidi and Sarah. So I split off and went with them. We decided to get some instruments of noisemaking (muffin pans and a ladle being my choices) and drive around in Heidi's car yelling our heads off and making tons of noise. We did that for a while, then decided to go to the International Cinema's showing of "Howl's Moving Castle". It was in Japanese with English captions, and it was very fun. You guys should get it on Netflix. I got back to my apartment, got ready for bed, and settled in to read my scriptures for the night. It took me about 1/2 an hour to get through Moroni 7 because Shyler was watching NCIS on her laptop and I was trying to actually comprehend what I was reading.... Anyways....

This morning, I woke up with a blood sugar of 38, and it scared my roommates because I wouldn't wake up. Aaaahhh! I'm working on keeping my blood sugar under control... Anyway, after that I got dressed, went to church, had a great testimony meeting (guys passing the sacrament are amazingly attractive, btw) and had a wonderful Relief Society lesson on visiting teaching, which I'm very excited about. We had a Sunday school lesson on .... you guessed it, marriage! Yeah, welcome to BYU. After that, we came back to the apartment, put together our salad for ward break the fast, and then went over there. I was very impressed by some of the cookies/desserts, but none of the lasagna people thought outside of the tinfoil, store-bought box. Ah well. After that, I went to our Gates Hall community council meeting, and I'm on two committees - birthday and decoration. It should be quite fun. Then I came back, did all the dishes, and came in here to write to you! Yay. I have been missing you guys, but don't worry Marta, I have plenty of fresh fruit. Right now, in my cupboard, I have two nectarines, four apples, and a cantaloupe, and I just ate a pear. I am sad, though, that you have to finish all that fruit without me. The U.S. postal service is having a special on flat-rate boxes, if you want to send me some.... I'm continuing in my jealousy for all the delicious home-made food you have, but I'm eating pretty well. F0r the next few days, we're all going to be eating salad, as we have two gallon-sized bags full of leftover from the stuff we had to make for our break-the-fast. But Amy and I have some plans. Do you guys have any idea on what kind of stuff we should put on our salads?? I love you lots!

Eliza

5 comments:

  1. Oh phew! I was so worried about your scurvy! How did you manage classes on Friday with such a splitting headache, or did it go away after a while? I think you should try putting the fruit on the salad, and if you have the stuff, you should try making Sarah Salad. Do you have that recipe? Do they have a Break the Fast dinner on every Fast Sunday? Oh, and Eliza, we missed you for waffles, I'm sure you missed the waffles too, I can just feel it. However, for like the first time ever, we ate almost all of the waffles, I was starving and had to fight Dad for my last quarter! We have like 3 boxes of 18 eggs each in the fridge, and we only have about 4 active egg eaters! However, Mom recently made the most amazing omelet I have ever tasted, and we may have to (despite Luke's complaining) make some more. If only you were here to taste it!

    I think that you have some very loving and kind roommates if they were worried when you didn't wake up, and I think your crazy for driving around in the middle of the night banging pots and pans on a college campus! I always new you were wilder than you made out to be, then again, I should have suspected as much, Eliza plus good friends who are exciting and smart and girls is a bad combo... I think you should seriously consider keeping a better tab on your blood sugars, I would be freaked out too, and have you explained to them that your not only diabetic, but also a really hard sleeper? How do you guys work out your showers with only one shower for 6 girls?

    Love Eliza's amazing sister:
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you are having an amazing time. Sounds like you are getting along with your room mates which is a great thing. Everyone here wishes you the best. We will think about you tomorrow as we wander around the wilderness with the Falkes.
    Do something fun for the holiday.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homework is fun, right? Yeah.... But yes, Marta, they know I'm also a heavy sleeper, so we're working things out. And I don't yet have the stuff for Sarah salad, but I may have to go out and buy some serious bacon. Mom, is it mayo or miracle whip you put on Sarah salad?? With the eggs, again, the USPS is having a great deal on flat rate boxes. Yesterday I hard-boiled some eggs to put on my salad for today, and the yolks were WEAK! Light yellow, yuck. Anyway, I love you! Have fun in the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see. . .Sarah salad dressing is both mayo and Miracle Whip in equal proportions.

    On the blood sugar, I'd recommend a very quick adjustment to the nighttime basal. And have you tried the CGM again?

    Other salad ideas--chicken cesar--make your own bread crumbs from your crusts, cut up with olive oil, garlic salt, and parmesan. Also, taco salad and oriental chicken salad with dry ramen noodles. . .

    Glad you're spending SOME time studying. I would suggest that it might be easier to wake up if you were in bed regularly. Take it from someone who worked nights for quite sometime, you feel better and do better with a regular sleep schedule. But I think I've mentioned that a time or two (million) before. . .

    Your last scholarship check came. I'll send it sometime.

    We had an adventuresome day today with the Falkes (seven of them). Started by arising early so we could have breakfast ready when they arrived (theoretically, 7:30). We did zucchini bread, a potato/egg scramble, and smoothies. Then we headed off to Beardsley where we bumped around on dirt roads looking for "Hell's Half Acre." We may have found it--not sure, but there was a wonderful little river, and some amazing rocks to climb around. The guys fished for awhile. No bites. Then we headed to the lake, where we unloaded four canoes and four kayaks for a short trip to a rocky island for lunch. As Dad and kids jumped into the water chasing a wp ball, Russell and others were playing with a monster sling shot (three man with surgical tubing) and launching rocks into the lake. Russell sent one off, but instead of releasing forward, it was momentarily stuck in the sling shot pocket, then released backward--right into his solar plexus with a sickening thud. He doubled over and we were quite worried about the potential for internal bleeding. However, it turned out he will have an impressive bruise and be very sore for the drive to Idaho tomorrow and his first few days of classes, but he's likely to live a full and productive life. The real blessing is that Levi wasn't launching that one with Russell's help (as had happened just prior to this launch), because if that had happened with Levi, we'd probably have a dead boy. No more rock launching! (Only water balloons and tomatoes).

    Anyway, that ended the fun at the lake. We headed back, and while Russell was getting checked out at Prompt Care, we put together a passable BBQ dinner. We had time to clean up, have family council and realize we have a CRAZY week, and send everyone to bed.

    Now Dad's waiting to see if anyone has responded to his Craigslist ad on the red truck. We drove it to Oakdale on Friday (it made it), but Dad couldn't bring himself to take it to the junk yard. Do you think there's any chance it can pass smog? It has to do that for us to sell it to anyone else. . .

    I tried calling you tonight, but no answer. I hope you're doing something wonderful.

    Love you lots,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't sell it! Keep it and drive it in car shows in 30 years! That would be amazing. I'm glad Russell's okay - that must have been scary. So, about the phone thing... I can't find it. Again. Having working lights in my room might help, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow. So I will call you as soon as I can. Oh, and could you get me authorized to go into the AT&T store and get a phone? Because online they won't let me buy a phone at the two-year contract price. Anyway. Today I did homework, went to the gym with Skyler and Ashley, and had a great Family Home Evening (but without you :( ) We played Swedish Twister, which is CRAZY, and missionary tag. Pretty funny. But I missed you, and I'll talk to you soon. Love you,
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete