Friday, September 18, 2009

Comment, darnit!

Hey guys! I decided that since you weren't (except for Marta and Mom, thanks!) commenting on my blog even when I asked you to, I would put in some pictures that might make you more likely to comment... So here they are!
This is a picture of the five of us who were there coming home from church last week (fast Sunday). On the far left is Shyler, then Ashley, Kirsi, Amy, and I . Madi was on a trip to Maryland (ready the blog for further info, people!).
This is a picture of us banging pots and pans outside after BYU beat Oklahoma. Everyone was really excited because Oklahoma was third in the nation, and our team got catapulted up in the rankings - we're now at #7! On the far left is Amy, then Ashley, Kirsi's friend Janessa, Kirsi, and me!

This is my bed... On the left of the picture you can see the shelf above my bed. I have several lovely family pictures, but as you can see, I have an empty 4x6 frame, so I need another one. My desk is piled high with books, because I don't have room for them anywhere else!

A slightly different angle of my bed, where you can see the classic star over my bed that mom made at girl's camp when I was little, the magnet board Tess made for me, and a lovely little note that Amy wrote me. I have another stack of books there, as well as my alarm clock and the flowers Mom got for my birthday :)

In THIS view, you can see the bins under my bed and my backpack. The bin on the right has my diabetes supplies and the one on the left has all sorts of stuff, like my walnuts and powdered milk, my first aid kit, and my purse.

This is my desk. I have the pencil cup that Mom made for me, my scriptures, and my desk lamp, which I got for $2 at a garage sale. The red plastic vase on the right (75 cents at DI) contains the sunflower Kelsey gave me, and is wrapped in the yellow paper and red ribbon that the flower came in. It normally holds the bundle of fake flowers that you can see below it now.

This is a picture I actually took before moving in, when I was here with Mom. It shows the side of my room opposite from the desk. The right-hand arrangement is mine, the left Shyler's.

This is the main compartment of my closet.

This is the section to the left. It has my belts, jewelry, washcloths, and beautiful hand-knitted scarves.

My closet door, accessorized by a very cute umbrella hanging from the handle.

My top left cupboard contains food items I don't have room for in the kitchen, such as cheerios, ramen, and stuffing. Yum...

Speaking of food, here's a view of our kitchen. My wonderful knife set is in the back left-hand corner, and Kirsi's profile is in the background.

This is the sink area. As I've been complaining about, the sink is always full of two people's (cough cough Ashley and Madi cough cough) dishes.... I'm not cleaning them this time, although it's getting difficult to wash any dishes because you literally can't get them in under the faucet.

This is our fridge, dishwasher, and cupboards. We have a couple of note-things on the fridge, which is nice. You can also see our cooler in this picture. :)

This is the remainder of my food supply. I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the fridge or freezer because everything might have fallen out if someone wasn't there to hold it in... In the lefthand cupboard, which i got because nobody else could reach it, I have all sorts of breakfast foods, pasta, and peanut butter. That jar of peanut butter is almost gone, because I love peanut butter. The right-hand cupboard has all of my fresh fruit as well as granola bars, grits, and brown sugar, among other things...

This is the main kitchen area. On the left is the fridge that Shyler's boyfriend brought her, which has majorly cleared up space in the normal fridge. Madi brought the rack in the middle, which we desperately needed. We have two waffle irons on the lower shelf. The tablecloth was my idea/purchase and it helps to add some color to our prison-resembling walls. The basket has our silverware, and also holds napkins when we have them.

Our ever-present (and always on, sigh) TV. It's almost as big as the one we have at home.

This is another picture from before the move-in, because I forgot to get a picture of the couch!! It is directly across from where the table is in this picture now.

Above our couch we have a clock and this board hanging on the wall.

This is Ashley in the middle of a dance party in the kitchen, in her pj bottoms.

As you can see, the dance party went a little bit crazy, and here Kirsi and Ashley pose for the camera.

Amy dancing with Kirsi looking on...

Here's Shyler, making a grumpy face for the camera while talking on the phone and chatting on the computer simultaneously (that takes skill).


So those are my pictures of college life so far. I hope you liked them! I will write later today and tell you what has been going on over the last few days, but now I've gotta go. Love you!

Eliza

9 comments:

  1. Eliza,

    Does Shyler normally look that grumpy? I hope not. Amy looks nothing like I thought she would look like. I love your bed.! And I also love you!

    Love,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see pics. I like to be able to envision your life and the people in it! We just talked, so I won't write much here. I know everyone else will be excited to see the pics. Apparently, Tess got to them rather quickly today!

    Hope you get settled with the phone thing. Please remember the "Grandma memories" for me. It will help a lot if I get my kids and husband to each do five--then there are only fifty I need to do!

    Good luck with roommate bonding and problem solving. I'll be interested in hearing how that works out. Remember the "I feel about because" message is a useful way to express your desire to see change!

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eliza,

    I called this afternoon but didn't get a response so I trust that you were out doing something fun on Friday night to celebrate another week of Freshman life passed by without too much brain damage.

    As for us, I got off work a little early and picked up Marta and Luke from Practice, came home and mom had made a Ceaser Salad for dinner with fresh bread toasted in Mom's new toaster (that matches our fancy blender). Then we had watermelon on the porch before putting the birds to bed for the night. Then we did some clean up and all came in the house and watched Horatio Hornblower. Actually only mom and the boys watched since this kind of movie doesn't seem to appeal to the young girls. They watched Ella Enchanted...... So now the report for the week. Very busy, minimal sleep and only two AM swims. That kind of bums me, but my shoulders have been bothering me for some unknown very extremely annoying reason. In the morning I am taking the kids to the temple for baptisms, but it will be a blitz trip as we have to be back for a paid engagement that the girls have with the fiddle gang. Plus Levi has a soccer game. So wish me well, as I set sail once again on the jolly highway that is mostly straight and sometimes referred to as 108. Yes that does rhyme don't it!!!

    I miss your happy face, and Marta is trying to make up for your bear hugs. So I'll send an electronic HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGG

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza, on shelf space and pictures. . .if you hang some string/thread/dental floss/wire by a tack on your tack strip, and hook it to your pictures, you can then use your shelf for books, and have your pictures lower than the tack strips. That's the way they do it in art galleries. Just an idea.

    And the room is impressively organized and remarkably tidy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can tell that you need my help desperately! Those cupboards could definitely use my organizing! I have to admit, the closet looked pretty nice, and I was shocked to see your bed made, but the kitchen area, and your shelves for "hand knitted scarves," were an outrage! I crocheted it. I think you should move the pictures above your bed to a more conventional spot so you don't have to move half of your room to get to your books, ( you can put them on the shelf). The flowers looked very nice in their position. Your kitchen looks like it could use some remodeling, but all the appliances looked like they worked. Now, in the pictures Kirsi looked almost as tall, if not taller than you, so tell me why she couldn't use the cupboard above the fridge? Peanut butter sounds great! Is it very cheap though? I do like the rack in the eating area, it makes a nice pantry I guess. Maybe I'll send you another CUTE table cloth for your birthday, instead of the boring red one you have now. No offense... Um, and by the way, how do you fit 6 girls onto one three person couch? Or are there two! I was shocked at the amount of closet space you guys got, I didn't think you would have a closet at all! The bins seem to work wonders for you though! Maybe you should try Ms. Nixon's idea for room mate dish clean up. Did she ever tell you this one? On her week to keep the kitchen clean, she would clean it really thoroughly the night before her week started, and then every time she found any thing in the kitchen, she would clean it up right away, that way, people would keep their dishes put away because they feel guilty leaving them in an otherwise spotless kitchen! I think it worked pretty well for her. Anyway, I really enjoyed the pics and I hope you send us more cause it's great to be able to visualize your life instead of just hear about it! Maybe I'll send you a picture to put in that empty frame... I hope you feel better because you know I love you!

    Love Eliza's Amazing Sister:
    Marta

    P.S. Ms. Nixon is going to kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marta cracks me up! She asked me to tell you she wants a picture of the bathroom too. You can send it to the "Ask Marta Advice Column for Organization and Decor."

    Being on opposite Sunday church schedules inhibits Sunday afternoon (or morning chats). Hope you're having a good day!

    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marta, I would love to have you come out and organize for me, but I think that for the moment I'm stuck with me. Sorry about the knitting/crocheting mix-up. I would have been okay with the scarf had you knitted it, but I guess that crocheting is a more lofty position. I have already moved the pictures so I'd have more space on my shelf, and I will post pictures tomorrow. Now the only problem is that I need bookends.... I'm going to order them on restockit.com, but if you want to do a little bit of hinting to mom and dad, they could order them for me...

    Kirsi is actually a few inches shorter than me, but we were on a bit of an incline in that picture, so I can understand the confusion. Besides, I like having that cupboard - I get more space besides that, because nobody else wanted that cupboard anyway, and I get the whole top of the fridge to put my stuff on! Oh, and peanut butter is pretty cheap. The stuff I bought yesterday was $1.17 for a little jar, which was more than I paid the first time, but oh well. I eat it a LOT. I would be okay if you sent another tablecloth, too. I only got this one because it's vinyl and so you can just wipe it down, and this was the only vinyl pattern walmart had in the size I needed.

    On the couch issue - we don't all fit on our little loveseat. Two, maybe three people go on there and everyone else sits on chairs or the floor. We survive, though.

    I like Ms. Nixon's idea, but we don't have cleaning weeks and even if we did, the kitchen never looks spotless, no matter how much we clean it, so it wouldn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though! Speaking of suggestions, I took pictures of the bathroom for you too, and those will also follow, hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm going to bed. Love you, and talk to you soon!

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eliza, if you want us to comment, you have to post something!!!!!

    Tess

    ReplyDelete