Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hey, guys! Sorry it's been so long - things have been SO hectic. The last time I wrote was on Tuesday evening, so I'll start with Wednesday... Wednesday I had Weights training, which continues to be fun but challenging. Book of Mormon was also pretty cool. Our professor has organized a hike up to the Y on the mountain for all of us in the class, which includes two freshman academies and a few other people. Anyway, I went through Calculus, English, and Intro to International Politics. Nothing really out of the ordinary happened except that professor Gates asked if I'd told Bishop Richardson that his cousin was my English teacher. So let him know for me... So, Wednesday evening I went to this Honors Opening Social thing and had a great time eating free pizza and chatting with some friends. It was fun. And then Heidi and I brought home some of their extra chips and salsa - we stash up!

Thursday I got up, finished my resume, then went to class. I only have two classes - calculus at noon and Philosophy at 4, and in between I ate lunch and dropped off my resume with a potential employer. It was fun because both of my classes were taught by TAs on that day. So, after Philosophy, I went, with my friend Michelle, to this thing that my math teacher (Dr. Chamberlain) had told our class about. It was basically an assembly telling us why we should consider making math our major or minor. I didn't know that I had to sit through a lecture to get to the free pizza at the end, but I actually enjoyed it. Some of the career opportunities looked really cool. (As soon as I got home and did some math homework, though, I remembered how much I really don't like math, so that path's out...) After that, Michelle and I went to this New Student Experiences party in the Museum of Art that was themed upon the Victorian-era paintings they've got in there right now. Pretty cool - there was dancing and music done by BYU departments, plus fencing, painting, and sculpting. And they had hot cross buns and hot apple cider. You can imagine what I had for breakfast yesterday morning...... When I got home I found a sunflower on my bed (like florist-style) from our cousin Kelsey, and a really sweet note. I couldn't, and haven't yet been able to, get a hold of her on the phone, but this morning I'm dropping some cookies by her house. I also discovered that my roommate Shyler's boyfriend, Tyler, had surprised her by driving out from California. He brought a mini-fridge for her, so that gives us a little bit more space in the regular fridge. This is her last time seeing him before his missionary farewell in October, so she was pretty excited. After I got home, Amy invited me to come with she and her sister to the Provo temple to do baptisms. It was really cool, even though we were in line for two hours. Anyway, on to Friday...

Friday morning I got up early and went over to the Central Building to pick up my copy of the New York Times, which I have to read for my Intro to International Politics class. I got some homework done, and then went to class. In my politics class, we mostly discussed the paper we'll be writing this semester. We got divided into groups for when we have to turn our paper in, and I'm in the last group! So exciting. I also had fun talking to the guy I was sitting next to, whose name is Kenny and who is the oldest of ten. It was great. Anyway... After that I did some homework, and then I went home. I went shopping and picked up some produce/milk/eggs sort of stuff, and I got some really good canned stuff. Then I went to Humor U with Robert - they are AMAZING!! It was so funny. One of them did a rap about Harry Potter - here's the youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tHCdoJQtZc You can't understand all of the words because of the laughter, but you can still get the gist of it, and it's really funny. During the show, they asked for three freshmen to come to the front, and the people who got up there fastest were going to be the three. Robert and I were two of the three because we were sitting in the second row on the aisle. They said the game was called "Whoever touches his nose first wins" and so, of course, we touch our noses really quickly. Then they told us that the game didn't actually have anything to do with touching our noses, which was pretty funny. So they got out three white boxes and said that each one had a prize inside. We got to choose which box we wanted. The first guy's box had a glass of water, complete with lemon and ice, sealed in using ceran wrap and a rubber band. The M.C. blithely commented that they wanted to give practical gifts. Then he pulled a J-Dawg's (apparently a really good hotdog place) certificate out of his pocket and gave it to him. Robert got a Humor U t-shirt, which was pretty cool. Then it was my turn. In my box were three Humor U magnets, and he gave me a J-Dawg's certificate too. It was cool - kind of like being paid to go to a comedy show! So, after that, I went to Fallfest, which is this crazy, school-wide party held in the Wilkinson center. It wasn't really that fun - there was this guy there who is a magician and who went to BYU, but he wasn't that entertaining. Oh well. So I came home and baked some cookies to take over to Kelsey, to say thank you for the flowers. My roommates devoured the leftovers - I ate some too, but two dozen cookies gone in the blink of an eye! It was crazy. So, at a suitably late hour, I finally went to sleep.

This morning, I got up and went on a hike to the Y on the mountain with my Honors Book of Mormon class. I got to know a few people better, and it was really fun, although way steep. Then we got back to school, and I walked to my dorm, and here I am!

So, you guys need to leave more comments. This can't be just a one-sided conversation! That being said, now that I've found my phone, I can talk to you a lot more. So call me, and I'll call you. I love you!

Eliza

4 comments:

  1. Sunday night and I'm finally getting to see your post! Sorry to hear you were missing us today and we couldn't be found. By the time I got out of church and saw you'd left a message, you were in church. And by the time you were out of church, I was at the Bach festival auditions. And by the time I was finished with Bach festival, my phone was out of batteries. So, we got a quick chance to talk tonight, and my prescription remains--if you're homesick, do something good--take a walk, read a book, listen to wonderful music, find a friend, bake some bread. . .something that will distract you and help you feel better!

    Anyway, we've had kind of an unusual weekend. Marta was running crazy, Dad was working on a presentation for work, Luke did late night band stuff, Tess had some swimming, and Levi had a soccer game. Sometimes I wonder what I do. I did read the Mary Russell book you left for me. I let that distract me on Friday, then felt guilty for not getting other stuff done. I'm not sure reading is a good thing for me. Perhaps it would help if I was reading material that was on my priority list. Then maybe I wouldn't feel so guilty???

    We did get off to the Murphys and made it before 7 last night--had dinner with them, got settled for bed, got up and had Brenda's version of Kugen (it's better than ours--think I'll try to slip that recipe in instead of the traditional one), and made it to Visalia 3rd ward on time. They had two missionaries leaving--including a sister to the Utah Provo mission (she'd been a BYU student, and was remarkably positive about her assignment!) After Sacrament meeting, Dad gave a beautiful ordination blessing to Matt, then we finished up SS and headed out. You already heard the rest of today's schedule.

    So I'm trying to get motivated and directed for the coming week. I just realized I have no idea what Tess's schedule will be (she's starting a 3-day Young American activity tomorow--her birthday present this year). Luke and Marta have an unscheduled WP game in Lodi on Tuesday. And I've got to get the new truck smogged and insured and the junk in the garage (some of it you got on freecycle) off to the thrift store. Sound like an exciting week?

    It's still weird and unsettling to walk by your old room and see it's new occupant (and it's tidiness, too). In case you're wondering, it doesn't feel like everybody's here when we gather for dinner or prayer. We took Babe to Visalia, and everyone got a seat. That was unusual. And no one's stepping up to polish off the leftovers the way you did. (Marta's learning, but slowly). I think that part of my difficulty with getting focused and directed is my trying to get used to the changes in our family. Even though I know in my head that you're where you should be, and doing what you should be doing (except when you stay up too late. . .), it's taking some adjustment on this end. So know we love you and we miss having you with us, and make it worth the changes we are all making for you to learn and grow in your new environment. Love, love, love. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Life is still amazing when it's hard! <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to your requests for food, here's a recipe for which you have/should have most of the ingredients. They are yummy. Invite someone to come make them with you--then you won't have too many to eat when you're finished!

    Critter Cookies
    1 c shortening
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1 c sugar
    1 jumbo egg, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 t vanilla
    2 c flour
    1 t (heaping) cinnamon
    1 t (heaping) baking soda
    1/2 t salt
    1 1/2 c uncooked oatmeal
    1 1/2 c chopped walnuts

    Mix sugars and shortening til fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well. Add oatmeal and mix well. Stir in nuts. Form into balls and bake at 350 for 18 minutes.

    <3 you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza,
    Obviously you did not pay enough attention to your dating classes in church. You are supposed to date lots of different guys and not spend all your free time with the same guy!
    Mrs. Hennessy has been asking how you are doing at college. And guess what! One progress report period has already passed!
    The Young Americans thing was so much fun! We danced to Elvis, The Lion King, Suessical, and more! We also sang a bunch of songs. I wish you had been able to go.
    I am officially 2nd oldest in Activity Days (Kelsey Evans is older), and youngest in my math class.
    Homework...!!!

    Love,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete