Sunday, October 24, 2010

Food, part 1

Things I've made:

Indian-Spiced Popcorn (fabulously yellow, no?)
This popcorn is savory, unlike most popcorn.  It is spicy and delicious, and I've had it (a half-batch) for dinner twice in the past few weeks.

Recipe: 
Pop 1/2 cup of popcorn, however you like (I just cooked it in a pot on the stove)
Melt 1/4 cup of butter with 1t garam masala, 1/4 t turmeric, and 1/4 t cayenne pepper
Drizzle spicy butter over popcorn and add salt as needed (as you pour the butter over it, so it will stick to the popcorn)
Sidenote: Mom, you can buy garam masala in bulk at Whole Foods.  Trust me, it's worth it.  Also, could you please buy some and send me a few teaspoons?  That would make me very happy :)


Roasted Carrots 
-I love boiled carrots, fresh carrots, and steamed carrots.  But this is probably my favorite preparation so far. It's awesome, and you could alter it as desired to give the carrots a different character.
Recipe:
1. Toss some chopped (diagonally, about 1.5-inch long) carrots with olive oil, salt, and plenty of pepper.
2. Put on a baking sheet in a single layer.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until soft and slightly caramelized.
4. Sprinkle with parsley, dill, or any other spice you think would taste good.
5. Devour.
For more detailed instructions, see this recipe.


Roasted Broccoli
roasted-broccoli.jpg
This is a picture from the site where I got the original recipe (see this for more detailed instructions/measurements), but it looks quite similar to what I ended up with.  I used the leftover broccoli from the veggie tray at my party (thanks, Stacey!).  I literally could not stop eating it.  Yummy.

Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 425.  Cut broccoli into stalks like those shown above.
2. In a small saucepan, heat some olive oil (regular vegetable would probably be fine too, but I didn't want to risk it) and minced garlic on low heat for about five minutes, or until garlic starts to turn golden.
3. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper to the oil/garlic mix and cook for one minute more.  Remove from heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine broccoli and oil.  Add some lemon juice, salt, and pepper.  Toss to coat broccoli with a thin layer of oil.  I realized that I didn't have quite enough oil, so I sprayed some Pam on it.
5 Spread broccoli in a single layer on a pan and place in oven.  After 10 minutes, it should be slightly caramelized (read: browned) on the bottom.  Remove.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (I used the bottled kind, but fresh would be delicious too).
7. EAT!


I have tons more recipes, but I don't really want to put them all on one post.  So I will put more of my favorites from the last few weeks up soon!  Love you all lots.

<3
Eliza


P.S. Grandma: it worked!  I can see your comment, as long as you post it while you're in gmail.  It's great to hear from you, and thanks again for sending my winter stuff up!

No comments:

Post a Comment