Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Halloween part-ay!

For Halloween, I decided to honor the family tradition of pumpkin soup.  I made some, invited Heidi over, and the rest of the gang invited an apartment full of friends from their freshman ward.

Margarine.  Yum.
Leeks and onions.  I paid almost $6 for the leeks.  Dang.  Luckily, I only needed one, so I have one in the freezer!
Who doesn't like this stuff??

Everything stewing together... 
After a bout with the immersion blender :)  SO delicious.
Pumpkin cream cheese swirl bread.  I would post a recipe, but it was kinda gross.  Mom, could you send me the recipe for Lori's pumpkin roll, pretty please?

Our festive Halloween spread.  We had salad (thank you, Kristin :), rolls and green beans from the Sparks girls,  and then rye bread,  pumpkin cream cheese bread, and the onion tart that I made.  The pumpkin soup and Kristin's amazing apple dumplings were over on the stove.

I would tell you everybody's names, but I don't really know most of them, and the pictures are blurry for the rest :)  However, in the last picture, the two on the right are Kristin and Heidi.  

I will post the recipes for pumpkin soup and onion tart later, but now I have to study!  Love you all!

<3
Eliza

P.S. Mom, is it, like, blasphemy for me to post the pumpkin soup recipe?  Everyone at the party loved it and wanted the recipe, so I thought it might be happy to put it here for future (present?) generations. 

1 comment:

  1. No, I don't think it's sacrilege to post the family heirloom pumpkin soup recipe. Just give credit to the original inventor--Marlene Sorosky. It is a winner! As for pumpkin roll:


    Lori Lamm’s Pumpkin Roll

    Beat on high speed, 5 minutes:
    3 eggs
    Beat in, then set aside:
    1 c sugar
    2/3 c pumpkin
    1 t lemon juice
    Mix together, then fold into pumpkin mixture:
    2/3 c flour
    1 t baking powder
    1 t ginger
    2 t cinnamon
    ½ t nutmeg
    ½ t cloves
    ½ t salt
    Pour onto a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan that has been lined with parchment paper (or foil sprayed with cooking spray). Sprinkle 1 c chopped walnuts over cake batter. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Turn out nut side down onto a new “handi-wipe” that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll warm cake together with “Handi-wipe.” Cool
    For filling, beat together:
    1 ¼ c powdered sugar
    8 oz cream cheese
    6 oz butter
    ½ t vanilla
    Unroll cooled cake. Remove and discard “handi-wipe” and spread filling over cake. Re-roll, wrap in saran and/or foil, and refrigerate. Serve in slices.


    I'm not sure what "handi-wipes" are--but I think you could use paper towel.

    And what is this with "anyways?" I don't think that's even in the dictionary. . .Honors student counselor. . .hmmmmmm. . .

    Happy baking and cooking!

    ReplyDelete