Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Packing up and moving out

So I guess I'm just not a dedicated enough blogger to write two parts to a post, at different times.  Oh well.  My last day of the work was riotously fun, involving a prank about pizza, blackberry-picking, and rain dances.  Let's just say that the lifeguards broke a lot of rules and pushed our manager  in the lake.  My last day at my other job involved cleaning, running errands, and having a lovely chat with Sandra, who is wonderful and whom I will miss this year at school.

In the past few days I've packed and cleaned far past my heart's content.  The inside of my car is finally vacuumed (hallelujah!) and most of my clothes are packed.  I haven't done my desk supplies, toiletries (I have to buy my own shampoo and conditioner again, can you believe it?), and no word yet as to whether my bike will fit in the car...

I read Mockingjay, the new book in the Hunger Games series, yesterday.  It was quite good, although my favorite one in the series is Catching Fire.  I like that Suzanne Collins has this amazing ability to actually end a story.  Far too many authors have a tendency to just drag it out, kind of like the Beatles' "All You Need is Love."  By the way, I've finally taken the Beatles CD out of my stereo, after an entire summer of listening to nothing else.  I retrieved my CD stash from the big van, and boy is it a relief.

Today is my dad's birthday. Happy Birthday Dad! I will write another post about him later today, but I just wanted to outline the menu (I do this more for my own recipe file than for any other reason :).  Yesterday I made low-fat oatmeal banana bread for breakfast, then maple-glazed salmon, tomato-dill couscous (both of those are from magazines and neither was very good, so I won't even bother posting the recipes), and eggplant salad toasts (delicious!) for dinner, followed by homemade peach-blackberry ice cream for dessert.  Yum.  Then this morning I made those oatmeal cookie pancakes I wrote about earlier, and tonight I'm making ribs.  I'm so sad I'm going back to school where the most exciting meat I'll have will be chicken breasts and pork chops.  Oh well.  I loaded up on cocoa powder from my mom's (2 gallon-sized bags!) stash.  I should be able to drown my longing for exciting food in a flood of chocolate.

I'm leaving tomorrow after dad gets off work, because his boss won't let him miss a training meeting (ironically, the boss is apparently taking a kid up to school in Oregon and will be missing the meeting).  I'm driving through the night, staying who-knows-where, and then checking in to my apartment.  I have a meeting for my TAship on Friday morning at 11.  Wish me luck!


<3
Eliza

P.S. I asked my roommates, and they told me that I should bring my air-popper.  Yay!  Also, one of my roommates sent another one this video on facebook, and now I'm not nearly so nervous about living with strangers :)

P.P.S. What should I take to college?

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a comment earlier, but guess it didn't post. It's just after 6 a.m. on the morning my oldest is going off to college for her second year. And it's still not an easy thing for a mother to send her girl away. I imagine it will be a sadly mellow weekend.

    It's amazing to see my girl Eliza. . .and the person she is so independently becoming. Her brothers and sisters WILL miss her enthusiastic experimentation in the kitchen. I will. I think we've all greatly benefited from not only the cooking, but the energetic and adventurous way you approach life in general. You've tried many new things this summer. Some of them. . .actually a remarkable number of them. . .you've completed. And most have turned out well.

    I'll miss you and your hugs and bright sunshine. Take those with you to school and keep becoming the wonderful woman you are growing into.

    And don't drive your roommates crazy with the downside byproducts of your enthusiastic creativity.

    And make friends. Some of them boys.

    And get some sleep.

    And keep your scholarship.

    And stay strong and fabulous!

    And call and blog.

    Did I mention you are an awesome gift giver? Even though Tess does suspect you read MockingJay before you gave it to her yesterday morning. . . .

    ReplyDelete