Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to school with Dad

On Thursday evening of last week, Dad and I drove out to Utah.  We drove through the night and he stayed at my cousin Kelsey's house and slept while I went to a meeting for my new job (He drove through the night and let me sleep; isn't he great?).  The meeting was awesome and I am very excited to start work today.  I also checked into my apartment and met my roommates, but I will write another post about them later.  

After my meeting, we met up and went to the bookstore, had lunch at the cougareat, and took a tour around campus.  We went to see Ken (Kelsey's husband) at his lab, and he showed us a cool machine that shot water out under pressure, so fast that it could literally cut through steel.  The two of them helped to unload my storage unit, which was quite the task.  We went to dinner and then I went back to my apartment to start unpacking.

Me at the Cougareat following the bookstore.  Unfortunately, since there were only two of us, we have precisely one picture with both of us in it...


On Saturday morning, we got up early and headed out to hike Mt. Timpanogos.  It is a climb of approximately 4500 feet, starting at 7500 feet above sea level.  It was exciting

I discovered what altitude does to your hands.  I felt like all the water in my entire body was in my hands and arms.  

Here's Dad, on the trail.  We missed the peak of the wildflowers, but it was still beautiful.  And besides, doesn't his hat make up for any lack of color? :D

Lunch, aka naptime, was great. 


Dad on the summit.  Very few people made it all the way to the summit, because of the weather, but by the time we got to the saddle, it had cleared up.  It was still VERY windy, though.  It took us over an hour to climb the last mile to the top, because it was so windy.

Can you tell?


The single picture of us together.  As you can tell, we're being buffeted by the wind.  I was so proud of us for making it to the top! Neither one of us was in very good shape, but we pushed on and hiked 15 miles (there and back) with a 4500-ft. climb.  Go us!

The shelter at the top was graffitied all over.  

For the climb down from the summit, we bundled up in all the layers we had to protect ourselves from the wind.

Don't forget what's most important!  We brought mint milanos (a tradition) for the peak.


Look at what we did!  This is just a couple miles down the trail from the saddle.

Down at the trailhead after the hike. 


That peak he's pointing to is the one we climbed.  Dang!

Anyways, after the hike, which took approximately ten hours, we went back to Provo, went to Carl's Jr. for dinner, and then went grocery shopping.  And Dad got me groceries!  Isn't he the best?  He picked out every kind of yogurt that looked good (it was on sale), helped me get the stuff I needed, and then chose a few things on his own for me - boysenberry syrup, iced lemonade cookies, and strawberry oreos.   I clearly have the best dad ever.

I dropped him off at Ken and Kelsey's house after leaving the groceries at my apartment.  I thought it would be easier this time, because hey!  It's my third semester at college!  But no, not at all easier.  I got back to my apartment, did a little more unpacking, talked with my roommates, and went to bed.

I am very glad that Dad came out with me.  He got to see my school and life and meet a few of my roommates, and I got to spend some quality time with him.  It was wonderful.  I hope you had a good time too, Dad!

<3
Eliza

P.S. I start classes and work today.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! We were in UT last weekend, too. We helped his 3 (3!) brothers get set up for the semester. Looks like you had a great bonding time with your daddio- he's the best!

    ReplyDelete