Friday, April 16, 2010

Party Time!

Hello all! This post is the story of college reading days. If you don't know what they are, hold on to your seat because it's going to be a wild ride!

Basically, BYU provides us lucky students with two reading days (sometimes known as "dead" days) between the last day of classes and the first day of finals. Reading days mean different things to different students. Some use them to catch up on sleep, some to start moving out, some to study, and some to party. Whatever you do, though, these days are AWESOME.

Our last day of classes was Tuesday, and so reading days were Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesday I got up early, went to an honors bagel party, and then went to rent a storage unit. My unit is 6x8, $20 a month - best deal around! After I'd listened to the rental lady's life story I got back to the dorm just in time for my compassionate service committee first floor baking party! We had a great time making pretzels, peanut butter cookies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, and macaroons. We even distributed a little bit of the loot to people on our floor instead of eating it all ourselves! I went back to my dorm and "studied" for an hour before going to a Freshman Academy reunion (where a guy who was there with several friends in my freshman academy asked for my number - later in the evening he called and asked me out). Following that, I ate dinner, went to a donut party, and then went to Sherlock Holmes at the dollar theater with Heidi, after which we sat in the car and discussed life, the universe, and everything until almost 2.

On Thursday I got up and went to seven hours of chemistry review. It was great! I nearly shot myself... But I got out, got ready, and went to dinner at Cafe Rio and then to the Museum of Art with Jared, the guy from the freshman academy reunion. It was really fun. We found out we had the same taste in reading - between us, we came up with one series each that we hadn't both read. I had a great time. And just as he was leaving I realized I didn't even know his last name, so I asked him then. Pretty much a blind date, but it was a lot of fun. Also, I realized that I haven't gone on a single date with a guy who's not in Honors. That made me laugh :)

Thursday evening my roommates and I wrote predictions about each other that we're not allowed to open until we're engaged. We predicted each others' date of marriage, major, where we'll be in five years, and number of children, to name a few. During the process Ashley gave me a lower back tattoo with a heart around the words "Property of Prince Charming." Don't worry, it will wash off.... eventually :) I'm going to miss my crazy roommates. I finally got into bed and the reading days were finally over.

I have to take my first final tomorrow, so now I'm doing the studying part of reading days today.

<3>
Eliza

1 comment:

  1. Eliza, hang in there through those finals. I still remember those weeks as some of the most stressful of my life. Last night when you said you weren't going to be unhappy about the results of your Chem final, I was proud of you. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? Remain steady as a rock my dear, do your best, have faith that all will be for your good, and enjoy the positive points of each day!

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete