Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hi, guys! The days until college start are slowly winding down, and I'm getting nervous about starting classes tomorrow. So, Friday I decided to sleep in because I had not been getting enough sleep (the catchphrase of college life is to say at 11, "the night is still young. Do you think there's a party happening over at Helaman?") Craziness. So when I got up I ate some oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts - thanks mom :) Ashley and I finished organizing and cleaning the kitchen, which took a long time! Then I decided to run some errands - I went all over town looking for a desk lamp and some board shorts. I also got some cream cheese and milk, got my oil changed, got two copies of my car key, and went to DI, where I bought a red plastic vase (75 cents) for my fake flowers - again, thanks mom. There weren't any desk lamps or board shorts there though - oh well.

When I got home, I got ready for and went to our "Friday Night Extravaganza"which was crazy. We briefly met tons of other people, then did some weird group activities (what happened to a Book of Mormon's distance??) The last activity, which was also the most fun, was in groups of three. Each person took turns being in charge for two minutes, and the other two had to do whatever he/she told him/her to. I told my two people to get as many hugs as she could, and count them, and to run to the stage and back, giving high fives to everyone along the way. There were tons of crazy ones. For instance, one person had to head-butt people's legs. Another went along untying people's shoes. There were lots of marriage proposals and "I love yous" of course (I mean, we're at BYU...). One guy's job was to find the tallest girl he could, and then bring her back. So I met this tall football player named Zach who loves tall girls. It was pretty funny. This ended at 10:30. Oh no, the night wasn't over yet.

I hung out at Heidi's dorm for a while, and then we (and her roommate Sarah) decided to go to Mckay's dorm to drop off a book he'd loaned her while in LSH. We had an epic adventure, after which I came back and watched "She's the Man" (so funny) with my roommates. Finally I got to go to bed...

This morning, we had a ward donut party at 10, but I just went over to my LSH professor, Dr. Gong's house for a Chinese lunch/brunch thing at 10:30. It was very fun, and I've decided that I love Chinese food, too. I got a 98% yay. On the way home from that, I saw some garage sales. I decided to go back and check if anyone had a desk lamp. I'd bought one at Walmart Friday, but then discovered it was poor quality and required a weird bulb, so I'm returning it. I found one, for $3! It was amazing. For an extra dollar, I got a cute red pencil skirt and some amazingly cute fabric to lengthen it another few inches to cover my knees...

Anyway, then at 2:30 I met Robert and we went over to 7 Peaks, which is a cool water park about a mile from campus. His brother, Jeph, (who's 20, not actually a biological brother but an adopted cousin who's sealed into their family) came too. It was tons of fun. The park was mostly water slides, but with a few other attractions, like the lazy river and a wave pool. We went on every water slide and other attraction in the park, including the lily pads and a rope swing (does anyone else remember the lily pads at the pool near Grandma Houghton's house?). At 8, when the park closed, we went to the Brick Oven, which is a pizza place that makes its own amazing root beer. Then we got back in time for the last hour-and-a-half of the new student orientation closing finale, where there was a dance, karaoke, bounce house obstacle course, and volleyball. So overall, tons of fun. Robert's funny, and can actually carry on an intelligent conversation, which is very nice. A bit shy, and not popularity-oriented, but that's nice too. On Friday, we're going to get a group together and watch Signs, which several people have insisted that I need to see.

Anyway, back home a little after eleven, I met the other three people who came to BYU from Amy's stake, ate some of the banana bread Ashley made yesterday (I donated some walnuts to the cause), and talked to my roommates a little more. I like them. They're really nice, and hilarious. Now, I need to go to bed, because tomorrow we have a Hall meeting at noon, and church at 1. After that, we're having a dorm meeting. Then, school starts on Monday. Aaahhh! Craziness! Well, I love you all, and I will talk to you soon!

Eliza

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a life! Congrats on the 98 and the garage sale finds--they're the best. I noticed Annalisa has a sewing machine--maybe she can oversee your skirt alteration. In case you're wondering, I've been to Brick Oven. It's an institution. However, the store-made root beer is a new twist. It used to be just "awesome" pizza. I like the group activity plan for next week--I also noticed Annalisa has lots of games. Don't know if she shares those, but those might be other potential activities.

    Sister Christensen got into her house yesterday--we helped get her kitchen partway set up (had to move Don's tools out of the cupboards and drawers first). Came home and cleaned, harvested about two gallon buckets of potatoes, and got ready for Hot August Nights. Julie came, and in the process, said she'd probably join the church sometime. She didn't offer to meet with the missionaries, but she did say she'd like to follow the Seminary BOM reading schedule with me (and Andrea Banks and Marta, who were sitting across the table from us). So I've got to print one up and get it over to her today. She's already a week behind. (By the way, she loved your thank you note--she's had a hard week, and really appreciated what you said about her being happy--she let me read it after she had). Then we cleaned the church, and finished up with a parking lot driving lesson for Luke. He was stoked. And after an activity like Hot August Nights, church cleaning made a huge difference--especially in the bathrooms, so I guess the night brought significant results! Now it's back to our quiet little life in the hills--other than that we woke at 6 a.m. (Dad and I) to a coyote yipping right next to the big rock off the back deck. Oh, and Levi got up and got dressed on his own--before 7:30! Everyone else is still denying the inevitable rush to church!

    Love you--hope you can pull yourself out of bed before your 1:00 church (smirk, smirk). And so glad you're getting to know and appreciate your roommates (and their banana bread. . .I guess the baking of the bread means you have the important staples in your kitchen). <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me!... I need to know if Belt is ok with computer graphs... anyway... how was your date... haha!

    So,we had an epic girls vs. boys water polo game in which I did great... Sidney wasn't too happy when I stole the ball from her and then scored... HAHA! and for like the whole first half, I was paired up with Skyler J... she grabbed my suit, it was kinda scary.. she's vicious. Then I was hole D-ing Skyler Towle and it was hillarious, we just looked at eachother and laughed... unfortuneately I didn't get my chance to drown Ari as I had promised (All of the experienced sophomores excepy Carly Uslander are on Varsity. Great game though...

    I love Mr. Roe... he tells crazy stories and is just generally amazing... one day I was staying after to ask about a book and he's like "Am I boring you..." then we had this big discussion about how he assumes that I'm a genius because of "my family" (you) he's awesome... I have Spot for 0 period and I like her a lot, she's really nice and she really likes me so far... basically all of my friends are in that class so that helps. Ms. Belt is kind of sketchy but I like her. We have an honors Bio class of like 34 in that room (all of the lab tables on the sides are now desks)... which is cool because it's like every honors sophomore I know (and some unwanted extras) plus Bennet, Marta, and Jaden Banks... AHHH! [quick change of subject... Sydney walks up to me one day and tells me that we're getting married, Natalie argues that she's got dibs and then every other girl on the water polo team (practically) tells me that we're getting married...AAHHH what did I do to deserve this?] back to subject... Garcia is on crack and even asked me if I was related to you... the mural is cool except that I know the story behind it... awesome kids in that class though. Myers is awesome... Hailey Miller sits next to me in Myers and Roe so we 'chat'... it's awesome talking to cool smart people about English analysis and stuff and to not just be answering their questions and looked to for help... Marta's in Wind Ensemble with me so ... Mace decided that it was against fire cod to have more that one Houghton in the Band Room so he posted a sign... and tells us to leave whenever he feels like it.. So, I retaliated... with...

    BAND CODE 34.02- due the the continuous loss of limb and death of band members caused by medieval weapons use during band functions, all medieval weapons are now prohibited on Band premises, during band performances, etc. Weapons now prohibited include but are not limited to

    Swords
    Spears
    Crossbows
    MACES
    etc.

    Thank you for your ongoing consideration and care...


    Pretty Hillarious right. (with help from Peter Liebold who basically lives in the band room and needs to get a life...

    Marta likes band and I'm way excited for it to really start.. got some awesome new songs woa! HUSH is crazy fast...

    Mr. Winslow is awesome... not so much the class though...

    I also got elected (well more like chosen) Sophomore class representative and I plan on running for the Site Council... any input?

    Everyone keeps asking me how you're doing... and if it's cleaner in the house now that you're gone (and I didn't make that up)...

    we miss you and you still need to call me! I would call you but you're in church... CALL ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliza,
    I remember the lily pads! I used to have soooooo much fun on those! Maybe, if we ever go to grandma's again for an extended period of time, you and I can go play on them. :) It sounds like Heidi is a good friend and all of your room mates are settling in and getting used to being around you. Robert sounds cool, but you haven't been including the tall red-head part. Mom had to tell us about that. Whenever people ask about you, I always give them your blog thing, but no one else seems to have done any thing about getting on and reading it... I wonder why? From way out here, it sounds like you are having a lot more fun than we are! College must be being kind to you! You should call us tonight ( Sunday night) everyone wants to talk to you, and hear about all of your adventures.WARNING, DO NOT READ IF HUNGRY! Oh, and-i'm sorry- we just finished making a peach blackberry pie and a peach pie! Mom picked the blackberries herself (obtaining many battle scars in the process) and Dad bought the peaches in the valley this last week. Are you dying of scurvey yet? As I eat them tonight, I will think of you, and say," Gee, I sure wish Eliza were here, but hey, all the more for breakfast at 5:00 a.m.! Oh, and I noticed the time of when you posted your last little message! 12:00 am! You are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey, I always knew you were nocturnal! Tell Heidi that your little sister likes her and says HI.

    LOVE,
    Eliza's Amazing Sister: Marta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza, we got 12 eggs from the chickens yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments guys :) I LOVE MARTA HOUGHTON too!!!!! Oh, and Marta - you're not supposed to give other people my blog info! That's just for family. It's okay, but I toned my writing with inside jokes..... I still love you though <3. Luke, I loved the band code - great stuff. And I agree with you about Peter; he used to be way cool, but now it's like high school was the best time of his life, which is just a little bit weird. Whatever. Oh, and tell the water polo girls that I will only let you marry the one who gets league MVP, so they'd better work hard. Anyway, love you all lots. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete