Saturday, August 22, 2009

Moving into Heritage Halls, and life

Hey, family. I just moved in and will give you an update on what's happening... I'm the only one in the apartment so far, and my stuff is scattered all over the place b/c I haven't really had a lot of free time since getting in. Tonight after moving all my stuff in, I went to an LSH sundae party and swing dancing lesson/fun time/amazingness. I got back and my roommate Madi Gordon, who was in town for a wedding reception, came to visit/meet me/check out the dorm. We talked for a long time with our RA (Resident Assisstant is what it stands for, I think - if not ask Mom.), Stephanie. It was very fun.

Earlier today I went to class, where Dr. Gong brought us donuts and played frisbee with us on one of our ten-minute breaks. Yesterday we played freeze tag. We're reading the book "Statecraft" by Margaret Thatcher, who was the UK's first female Prime Minister. It's pretty amazing. A lot of information to take in, though, especially because I don't know anything about modern world history (Let's just say that leaving for an 8-week maternity leave and not providing a lesson plan is very tacky. Cough cough Ms. Woods cough cough.) Anyway, life is peachy here at the Y. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is nice. And there are lots of tall guys. (wink wink dad - but hey, you shouldn't be worried about the freshmen - they're all leaving on their missions within the next year or so.) ANYWAY, moving on... Lots of friends, study groups are fun, and tomorrow I'm having cheerios that I already bought and milk from a vending machine for breakfast! I also didn't need to go shopping tonight because they actually put some basic stuff in here like tp, some basic cleaning soap and a sponge.... cool stuff.

I've also discovered that walking around the campus when you're not talking to anyone around you is a great time to call home. So be prepared for random calls in the middle of the day, everyone! Life is already extremely hectic, but I'm loving it. I can't imagine what it's going to be like with a bunch of classes, every day! I already am short on time, and I'm eating at the Cannon Center. We'll see how cooking plays into everything. I have the feeling that I'll be eating a lot of basics, like bread, raw fruit and vegetables, granola bars, and basic breakfast foods like yogurt and cheerios all the time. However, I suppose that's good for me. Well, however it turns out, I'm sure it'll be amazing! Like the title of my blog! I love you guys. See you later!

5 comments:

  1. Do you like my picture? I got it so you can tell which one is me. It's chocolate in case you didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eliza, I wrote a long comment, but it hasn't shown up????? Anyway, love the blog. Keep it coming, and call too! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliza,

    I had two people come up to me at church today and say that they missed you already. They said it just isn't the same seeing Marta, Tess, Levi and no Eliza. Your family all misses you, but are happy that you are in a good place having an exciting time learning new things about the world. Be Good and make sure to take care of the soul and the machine......

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza--we're anxiously awaiting the next installment! Dad saw Allie swimming today. She still has 3 weeks before school starts. Are you glad you're already on your way?
    Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete