Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dear family, sorry for the delay.....

You know that cheesy scene in Twilight when Edward tells Bella "You are my life now," in a very dramatic way? That's pretty much what I say to my laptop every day... So, let me start at last Saturday. In the morning, I made some poppyseed muffins and then went with Heidi, her friend Emily (who goes to Snow college), and my friend Michelle from Freshman Academy, to hike Stuart Falls. It was way fun. At one point, we were crossing through this burned-out section that looked kind of like Mordor, from Lord of the Rings. I pretended to be Frodo running from the Orcs, and Heidi understood without any discussion. New best friend. She pretended to be Sam, and we escaped the eye of Sauron :) That was the really geeky part. When we got to the top, we had to hustle down to the bottom of the hill because Michelle and I were going to volunteer for our philosophy class. Less than 100 yards from the car, Emily tripped and skinned both knees. Luckily, Heidi had a first-aid kit in the car, and I was a professional rescuer. That was fun... So then Michelle and I (with some other kids in our philosophy class who I picked up) went to our professor's house (Dr. Siebach) and audited his CDs to prove to BYU that he hadn't sold any of the ones he'd bought on grant... Then I came home and went grocery shopping, which is pretty much my favorite thing.

Sunday was pretty uneventful. Monday I took my Book of Mormon test, and barely got an A. Then I went to the ward talent show, which had some very good acts. If I went into a discussion of them, I could continue writing for an hour, so suffice it to say that it was fun. On Tuesday I studied. Wednesday I got up early, went to the weight room an hour early, so I could leave an hour early, and then took my philosophy test. Oh joy. The timing was great though; I got out just before BOM started, and I got to class on time! On Thursday I wrote the rough draft of my policy paper, which was due on Friday. I was up late and early, and didn't even finish! Luckily the TA, Ken, emailed all of us whose rough drafts were due and who hadn't turned them in, and said that if we emailed him what we had then, and brought the paper version on Monday, we wouldn't have any deductions taken for lateness. New favorite TA. Friday afternoon I was in the library for five hours straight studying for my politics test, which I went and took at 8. I finished at ten and headed home, exhausted and frustrated. Luckily, Sister Richardson had sent me a letter, which made my day. I pretty much fell into bed.

Saturday morning I was supposed to leave my apartment at 9:45 to pick up some people in my philosophy class for another service project - raking for widows in Dr. Siebach's ward. I woke up at 10 because I'd accidentally set my alarm for 8 pm rather than 8 am (because my cell phone decides am or pm based on what time I set it, and I actually set it before midnight for the first time all week and forgot to change it...). So I called the people I was supposed to pick up and then rushed to get out the door. There was snow on the ground and my car, so I had to sweep that off as well. I picked my passengers up and we got to Siebach's at 10:30. We went and raked and had a riotous good time, after which we went back to the Siebachs' and had hot chocolate and bagels. Then I drove everyone home, went home myself to really get ready for the day, and went back to finish the auditing of the week before. There were only four of us in that group, and we sorted through those CDs like masters. At 7, we were almost done and Siebach ordered pizza. We ate, did a little bit more, and then left. At 9, I met Heidi at the Richard's building, where we played basketball. We had tons of fun but were a little disappointed that no one around seemed to want to play a game of pick-up basketball. However, we played lots of basketball games and then went back to Gates Hall to watch A Knight's Tale with her roommates. (Oh, and I should mention that during this all Kirsi, Amy, and Ashley were at Kirsi's house, so only Madi and Shyler and I were home). It was a very funny movie and I rather enjoyed it. I think that we should watch it at Christmas time (after Harry Potter VI of course).

Sunday morning I realized that I'd left my laptop at the Siebachs' house, because we'd used our laptops to look up the Amazon barcodes for the CDs we were auditing. I drove over there but they were already at church. I nearly had a nervous breakdown from not having my laptop, which is what prompted my message at the beginning of this post. But I got ready, went to my meetings, and went to church. Afterward, I got a call from Dr. Siebach (I'd left a note on their door asking them to call me and tell me when I could come back and pick it up) and I finally got my laptop back. Sigh of relief. That night I had a wonderful time cooking for the week ahead and going to a few more meetings. Then at midnight I started working on my politics rough draft again, because I hadn't finished it on Friday. I went to bed late, or should I say early, and Monday morning I got up early again to finish writing.

I finally finished just in time to go to my English class, and then to politics. I turned it in, which was another relief. Then I went home, studied, and went to dinner at the Cannon Center with Heidi (she has a Cannon Center block of meals card, but doesn't like going there alone. I'd told her, somewhat jokingly, that she should just take me, and she did!) We ate way too much food, met some nice people, and then hurried over to FHE, which was a ward indexing party. Unfortunately, no one there was helping us ignorant few figure out what to do, so we left early. I got home at 8-ish and decided to get ready for our cleaning check, which was at 9:30. I'd initially thought that I would just do it later in the week, even though my roommates were doing it then, because I had a math test that I needed to have done by Tuesday. But I decided to just buckle down and get it done, and I did all my jobs, excellently, in an hour and a half. I had to clean the shower, vacuum and dust my room, clean the dishwasher, and wipe down the hallway. It was a deep-cleaning check, but I got my job done well! At 9:30 when our R.A. Stephanie came to check, while everyone else got called to do at least one job more thoroughly, I only had to dust the chairs in my room, which I'd forgotten to do :) Not that I am a way better cleaner than everybody else, but I had fairly easy jobs and I finished them quickly(AND I''m a way better cleaner. Jk, jk... or am I?). After that I stayed up working on other homework. I also made some cupcakes for the girl we were serving this week for compassionate service (we were going to drop them off with a note at the testing center, b/c she had a test that day). I made chocolate fudge brownies from the box, and the used a chocolate icing recipe to make a kind of molten chocolate sauce to go on them. I distributed them to the four girls I'm assigned to for compassionate service, and also took one to Heidi to thank her for dinner at the Cannon. I finished some more homework and finally went to bed.

Tuesday morning I got up and studied for my math test. I went to my classes, but during Philosophy I realized I'd bought volume III of a book we're studying instead of volume II! (We had just finished volume I). I said something about it and Dr. Siebach lent me a copy because I'd helped out on Saturday (So you thought service on Saturday was a bad idea, mom? Saving $50 says it wasn't ;). Then I did some more homework and studied like a madwoman. I went home for a few minutes to eat, and found I had gotten a card from Aunt Mary and my Thanksgiving package from Grandma. They made me very happy, and now I can't wait for Thanksgiving night. I went in to take my test at 7:30, which left me barely enough time to finish by 10. I walked home with a guy who had been taking the same test, and we discussed Calculus, classes, and life in general. That was the only bright note about the math test... So after I got home I went grocery shopping late at night. When I got home I finished my BOM homework and went to bed.

This morning I got up and went to class. My classes today were intense, but I finally got through them. Afterwards, I decided to go donate blood at a blood drive on campus. They have much better snacks at the Red Cross than they do at Delta Blood Bank, and I have to admit that I have a package of shortbread cookies stored in my backpack now that weren't there before... While I was at the blood drive, I saw Paige Wagner, who had been my girls' camp BFF for a few years, and whom I hadn't seen in ages! it was fun, but a little bit awkward. Then I walked to the library, where I promptly fell asleep, and then walked home to eat dinner (I had a chicken-corn quesadilla with broccoli on the side. Yummy). I then walked back to the library, which is where I am now! And since I'm here, I should probably do a little bit of studying, so I'm off. I love you all lots!!!

Eliza

7 comments:

  1. Dear Eliza,

    You are an amazing girl. I hope that you survive this semester on the little bits of sleep that you get. Your dad (me) worries about you every day. I hope that you are enjoying the time and learning a lot and making new friends. I never was very good at the last two, but somehow I managed to get through life. You on the other hand are much more intelligent, cheerful, skilled, bright, charming and enthusiastic (but not as fast as me in the pool !!!!). Do your best and try to sleep sometime when you are not in class.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Eliza. Yes, it is a concern that you and Heidi spontaneously reenact Lord of the Rings events and take on relevant persona. Also that you quote vampire movies. I even removed that part about you in the family newsletter because you said it wasn't true. However, your blog makes me wonder. . .

    Life seems to be coming hard and fast at you. And it seems you're managing to get the urgent items done. Don't forget the important!

    So yesterday, Tess told me my hair looked weird (new hairdo from Sis. Brescia), Marta changed her mind three times about where I was supposed to pick her up, and I had to coordinate those changes with JulieAnn to accommodate the Personius girls, Marta told me my shirt looked old, the girls were 15 minutes late out of group and I still had to rush home, make dinner, and figure out how to get Luke's needs met (waiting at the pool) before 7 p.m. mutual and music practice. Made it through being cranky about all that and even enjoyed watching the kids smile as they did the Thanksgiving baskets in the gym!

    Today, I must contain those poopy chickens. I'm also headed to help at the pow wow at some point in time, I mean to send off the newsletter (despite a paucity of photos--please remember to bring that cord back), then we have music lessons and board meeting. I also noticed the house is looking rather ragged. We'll see if I get some improvements made before we head out for camping!

    So that's our life today. Hope you have a wonderful day!
    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eliza - Enjoyed reading your blog; thanks for letting me know you had recently posted. Right now I'm as sleepy as you get when you stay up late studying; my excuse is not the same, though. I just couldn't fall asleep last night at all. Got up at 3:00, finished packing, went back to bed, tried to just relax--no luck; at 5:00 I was still very much awake; planned to go to the pool at 8:30, but, sadly that just didn't happen. Oh, well, maybe after Thanksgiving I'll get back in the routine again. My day has been primarily running A. Marjorie to various appointments and shopping with her plus deivering her groceries. Oh, yes, and I completely repacked--taking just one large bag instead of a smaller one and a carry on. Hope we both get a good night's sleep tonight. I'll meet your folks in Stockton tomorrow some time after 2:00 p.m. and then on to Big Sur--I'm rally looking forward to seeing the ocean again; haven't for several years, at least not from a central Califoria vantage point. Glad to know your package arrived; hope you like the contents. Keep up your good work and get enough rest (preferaby starting before midnight).
    Love,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Eliza, is there any other way you could try to incorporate studying into your daylight hours? You seem to always be doing homework directly before or after midnight, and it seems to be late a lot (?) I don't think that's a very healthy thing Eliza. You should treat your body better, and this whole doing homework after hours thing is probably not helping your grades at all! Ow well, you'll probably just say I'm a silly ignorant freshman in High School, but you're still my sister, and I know you way too well for you to convince me that you just have too much homework to sleep! I guess what I'm trying to say is... TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOURSELF BECAUSE I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO NOT GET ENOUGH SLEEP AND BE HURTING YOURSELF EMOTIONALLY AND PHYSICALLY! Don't make me come over there and womp you on the head! I ask, why are we going to have to see Harry Potter VI at Christmas time? Oh, yah, you never saw it did you!? Well then, I guess we will have to see it! Well, at least you got to go see New Moon. I'm planning on seeing it in December with Kayla and Anne. Anyway, we just got back from our camping trip, and Eliza, Tess and I truly missed you in our tent. It was somewhat cleaner, and we could even climb through the door, but we could've used your clothes to soak up all the water that condensed rapidly and repeatedly on the tent every single night. Everything got wet from the dew. And it stayed wet, it got SOAKED. Anyway, we were warm, and we built some awesome sand castles which I hope you can see pictures of sometime. Eliza, it just wasn't the same without you! I do recall a prayer said that hopefully you would be able to come on our next adventure... next summer... ;-) Anyway, I'd probably better let you get back to your life... Bye

    Love Eliza's Amazing Sister
    Marta

    P.S. I like your new background design thingy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eliza,

    I disagree with Marta. I think the old one was better because I could tell if you had newly posted since the last one I had read, more easily.

    Moving on...I am glad to hear that you are spending your time well (most of the time anyways...!) and hope you start getting more sleep. And, you are a freshman now! That means you are no longer a senior which in turn means that you may not have senioritis again for another 3 years now!

    I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk to you much lately. Between Mr. Sweitzer, math homework, swimming, church/choir and big essays (personal narratives) in language arts, I have not even had much time to help with dishes. Let alone read!

    I don't know if anybody has told you yet, but I have been sustained and set apart as the Beehive's class secretary. Camilla is the president, Jocelyn is the first counselor and Bailey is the second counselor. Marta is the Miamaid's class president.

    I have to go help make some pies now!

    Love Your Sister who Misses you very much,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliza, we're gonna watch a movie that we saw on Netflix and bought! We like it a lot, and hopefully you'll get to see it when you get home! It's really funny, and we all enjoy quoting funny and strange lines from it. You have a really geeky family. The movie is Popeye, and Luke is the best at doing Olive Oyl's strange oh's. Don't ask, you'll see when you get here. We really miss you, and I just wanted to tell you because I feel like you're missing out on all of the fun weird things that always go on around a home like ours! Please have a wonderful time off for Thanksgiving!

    Love Eliza's Amazing Sister,
    Marta

    ReplyDelete