Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New hours, or Elijah's prophecy coming true

In the past few weeks, I have discovered an amazing new thing: there are extra hours in the day!  4:30-8:00 am is not a myth!  Wow.  Seriously a revelation.

So, I've been going to sleep earlier and getting up earlier - usually I'm in bed by 9 (!) and up before 5.  It's awesome!  I don't have to work through being tired, I don't late-night binge, the apartment is quiet while I do my homework, and I'm late to class less often!

Also, I'm turning into my grandpa.

This leads me to think of a whole new meaning of the prophecy of Elijah, of children turning their hearts to their fathers.  Since coming to college I have discovered that my parents were right about a lot of things that I always thought they were mistaken about.

Here is a list of things I've learned from my parents and now do:


Getting up early and going to bed early


Keeping my fingernails short (otherwise you clack in class, and nobody likes a clacker)

Make the bed (for pictures...)


Save money (yes, I totally have gold bars stored under my bed)

Eat a healthy breakfast every morning (wait, what?)

Exercise often (or at least take pictures when you do)

Keep receipts (and file them when your purse starts overflowing)





And other things I have learned but am still working on implementing:


Keeping up is easier than catching up (otherwise you end up feeling like this at 3 am)


It's good to clean your room occasionally


You don't really need that many shoes



And things I'm still not sure they've figured out, but which I will probably admit I was wrong about a few years down the road:


You can have bad handwriting and still be awesome


Flip flops are great!


Sweats are the best!


Fiction rules the world

Food processors are essential to life



Anyways, still learning.  I can't wait to corrupt my own children.

5 comments:

  1. re: keeping receipts

    I just discovered Mint.com. Check it out! For years now I've saved receipts and then entered them into our Quicken. Now I'm going to go online to Mint.com and take care of them right away (well, every few days).

    Those treats look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Eliza! Just make sure Mom doesn't read this! Maybe someday far in the future, I will feel the same way, because right now, I think that you are CRAZY!!! I love you anyways though.

    <3 Tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laugh, Laugh, Laugh all the way to bed. You make me smile!

    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are becoming so wise. Just think of all the othersmarts you can have if you could just remember what your Mother did say. Have a great day. I love you. Grandma K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flip-flops are amazing! Sweats are wonderful! Fiction does rule the world, just look at JK Rowling! I am impressed that you have started to wake up at an early hour! You are crazy if you only clean your room occasionally! (it's such a good distraction from homework!) You are wonderful Eliza, I can't wait to see how your own children react when you try to teach them some of these lessons!

    Muahahahahahahaha!
    Marta

    ReplyDelete